Apologies for the ropey picture, but that’s how Barry King is feeling at the moment!
Hopefully you will have all seen the latest England Athletics (EA) announcement that all club activities – including training – should be cancelled until at least the end of May. Here’s the link in case you missed it: https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/coronavirus-statement/
Parkrun has been suspended until the end of April for the time being. But it’s likely the suspension will also be cancelled until the end of May too. The next update is due on Tuesday. https://www.parkrun.com/news/2020/03/12/covid-19/
Cristina posted an update on EA membership earlier in the week. Current EA membership has been extended until 31 August. Full details can be found in the FAQs https://d192th1lqal2xm.cloudfront.net/2020/03/England-Athletics-FAQs-for-Coronavirus-260320.pdf
Not surprisingly, this is having a serious impact on our Club competitions for 2020 – I’m getting fed up with marking races as cancelled or postponed on TeamUp! The current position with our Grand Prix series is as follows:
- GP01: 15/03 – Dartford Half – took place
- GP02: 05/04 – Bill Hughes Memorial 10k – postponed, tentative new date 1/11 TBC
- GP03: 17/05 – Braintree 5 – postponed, new date to be advised
- GP04: 07/06 – Stansted 10k. Re-arranged for 20/09 (but clashes with Mersea – suggest getting a refund if you have already entered)
- GP05: 28/06 – Horndon 10k – cancelled
- GP06: 05/07 – Ware 10k – cancelled
- GP07: 13/09 – Ingatestone 5 – still taking place (as far as we know)
- GP08: 20/09 – Mersea 10 – still taking place (as far as we know)
- GP09: 04/10 – Havering Half – Re-arranged for 11/10
- GP10: 18/10 – Leigh on Sea 10k – still taking place (as far as we know)
The Committee is monitoring developments but you’ll appreciate that everything is too up-in-the-air at the moment to make any decisions about the GP competition overall.
On a more positive note, Everyone Active, who manage the track, have agreed – following some persuasion from Treasurer Dennis – to give us a credit for the two weeks track we had already paid for in March but were unable to hold. There was no question of us going ahead with the sessions in the face of Government rules (the health of our members is more important than money) but we don’t want to waste our members’ money, so we are glad that Everyone Active has done the right thing.
Finally, this Tuesday should have been the timed mile. Please feel free to go out and run it by yourself. If you let me know the time, I’ll add it to the spreadsheet. No cheating!
That’s all for now. Keep positive, keep following the guidance, and we’ll get through this together.